5 Ways to Get Noticed in the Wrong Way
14:47 16 May in Tips
As a human resources professional, I receive many questions regarding how to get hired and how to avoid being terminated. If you are just beginning your career at a hotel, I have included 5 tips to avoid being called in the office and terminated within your first 90 days. I have included some helpful hints that can entice future employers to consider your candidacy based on etiquette.
- Do not park your car where it does not belong. Do you want to park in a coveted close spot that is 30 seconds away from your work station? Chances are, the mega-hotels do not provide that spot unless you are the CEO. Whatever you do, follow the parking guidelines and do not complain. It is a surefire way to get noticed in the wrong way.
- Try not to lick your ice cream on the way out the building. Many of the hotels offer amazing dining rooms with a complimentary extravaganza of culinary delights. These goodies are intended to be consumed in the dining room only. Employers can get very frustrated if they catch employees leaving the designated areas with the food.
- If you like to complain, wait 90 days.If you are a Negative Nancy or Negative Norm, my suggestion is to not express your true opinions within your introductory period. This should be the time that you truly show your good side.
- Absence does not make the heart grow fonder during probation. Most employers value reliable and dependent employees. If you are late or absence during the “get to know you phase”, this could be a red flag to allow you to continue employment. Be on time every time and try not to miss a shift unless you are ill.
- Do not cake on the fake. We know that people who start their jobs are general “extra” nice and want to show their best side. It is imperative to not overdo it or appear to be disingenuous. If you are overly nice or overly enthusiastic, you may stand out as someone who does not belong.